July 5, 2011

Old Glory: Sons In Service Flag

 

DSCF7807

During WWI/WWII, families would display these flags in their windows with each blue star representing a family member who was fighting at war. I found this “Sons In Service” flag at a local Estate a while ago.

Son in Service Flag


Here’s a picture I took of a “Sons In Service” flag hanging in an office window at the Nevada State Capital Building.

Sometimes these flags would have two or more blue stars in the center which meant that more than one family member was fighting at war. Vintage Service Flags (like the one shown in the movie “Saving Private Ryan”)with four or more blue service stars is considered quite Rare!

1 comment:

  1. Hello - I am making a documentary about my family in the WWII years. May I use a copy of the sons in service picture above? If so, should I attribute it to Rockabilly Junction?

    Thank you,
    Steve Young
    Nashville, TN

    ReplyDelete